Before transitioning to a plant-based vegan lifestyle, I enjoy eating an excellent dish of rice & peas with fried chicken most Sundays for dinner. This meal is probably the most popular in many Jamaican households on Sundays. However, since I have been on this plant-based journey, I have tried my hardest to avoid fried and greasy food, which is not good for us. Another reason is that greasy food gives me heartburn.
Notwithstanding that, on rare occasions, I desire that crunchy, delicious taste. So, I decided to find something within my current lifestyle that would be a suitable substitute. That was when I discovered cauliflower and decided to try making Vegan French Fired Chick’n with it. It was a hit on my first attempt, and we have been making it ever since when we want to indulge a bit.
This vegan French Fried Chick’n is so delicious that you will realize that you are not missing out on anything in the carnivore world once you try it. It is scrumptious, and even the kids will love it too.
To make this you will need the following ingredient:
1 large head of Organic Cauliflower
4 cups of all-purpose flour
2 cups unsweetened nut milk
2 tsp salt (or salt to taste)
1 tbsp. baking powder
Powdered seasoning (onion powder, garlic powder, vegan chicken seasoning)
Fresh herbs and spices (onion, garlic, scallion, thyme, pimento). Blending together allows cauliflower to absorb the flavors better.
cooking oil (olive or coconut)
- Wash, and cut cauliflower into desirable size. Place in salt water to soak for thirty minutes to remove bugs, if any.
- After 30 minutes, drain cauliflower and then add powdered seasoning( as listed above) and fresh herbs and spices. Next, I blend the onion, garlic, scallion, and pimento together and then pour over the cauliflower. Add about a tsp of salt, then mix it all in and marinate for about 30-45 minutes. The longer the better.
- You will need two bowls; one for the dry and the next one for the wet ingredients. For wet, add unsweetened milk, garlic and onion powder, and salt for wet ingredients and stir into a thick liquid paste. For the dry, add flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, then mix to distribute evenly.
- Next, place the skillet on the stove, add oil and allow it to be hot. Meanwhile, take the cauliflower place in the wet paste first, then into the dry flour. Ensure that it is fully coated.
- Once the oil is hot, place in cauliflower and fry on medium fire until it becomes crispy and slightly brown. Keep turning from one side to the next until you get your desired color. Once done, remove from pot and place on a plate. Repeat this process until all the cauliflower is done.
- Serve with rice and peas, fries, or eat as is.
Please note that you may have to add a little or more of each ingredient if needed.