It is Thursday, and oh, what a happy day it is. Itz Holistically Wholesome has slowly become like home to me, and I look forward to sharing aspects of my lifestyle with you. Your presence is very much appreciated, and above all things, I trust that I have in some way been able to add value to your lives.
We are in a time of great trouble, confusion, and uncertainty. The pandemic, recent vaccine mandate, and other things taking place around us can be overwhelming at times. Yet, there is always something positive to look forward to, and that is the right mindset that we ought to have to take us through each day.
Now one of the best thing that you can do for yourself is to ensure that you are taking steps to improve your overall health. A healthier you is the best defense to fighting sickness and diseases. As such, I want to encourage you to activate your kitchens if you haven’t and take the time to make wholesome meals that you can enjoy and nourish the body. You can restore, reverse, and prevent many health conditions and build a strong and healthy immune system by choosing to be more intentional about how and what you eat. The best place to do this is right at home.
Today I want to share this tasty vegetable recipe that I once enjoyed before transitioning to a plant-based diet. Then one of the main ingredients was chicken. The first time I had this dish, I was amazed at how delicious it was because back then, I wouldn’t say I liked cabbage. However, I have since grown to appreciate cabbage which happens to have tremendous nutritional benefits. I have now made it vegan, and the taste is just as great.
To make this dish you will need:
1 medium/large cabbage
4-6 medium carrots
Bell peppers ( feel free to use all the colors)
1 medium onion
1 medium size plum tomatoes (you can use about 6-8 small tomatoes as well)
Vegan substitute Chicken (in this recipe I used citrus chicken which I purchased from the Adventist Conference Health Food Store in NY. However, there are many other available vegan options).
2-3 bulbs of fresh garlic or 1tsp garlic powder
1large onion or 1tsp of onion powder
1 tbsp Braggs liquid aminos
1/4 tsp pink salt
1tsp all-purpose powdered season
scotch bonnet or cayenne pepper (optional)
coconut or olive oil
- Wash and soak cabbage into salt water for 10 minutes, then remove and cut into thinly shredded pieces. You can buy already chopped cabbage, but I prefer to hand cut it myself. Set aside.
- Shred pre-washed carrot and set aside.
- Chop pre-washed onions, garlic, bell peppers, and thyme.
- Place pot or skillet on the stove with about two tablespoons of coconut or olive oil. When heated, add garlic, onion, bell peppers, hot pepper, and thyme. Stir for about a minute, then add shredded carrots.
- Next, add Vegan Style Citrus Chicken and stir.
- Add Cabbage and cover pot for about five minutes and allow to simmer on low heat. Once the Cabbage has shrunk, add powdered seasoning, Braggs liquid aminos, and salt, then stir to combine the ingredients. Cover pot and allow to simmer on low to medium heat. Steam for another five to ten minutes. Please note that you can adjust the cooking time according to the texture you desire. For a more crunchy taste, use less time, and if you want, soft add a little more time.
- Remove from stove and serve with a favorite side dish. I used brown rice and beans. You can use bread to make a sandwich or serve with dumplings, your favorite ground food (yams, green bananas, potatoes, etc.), or enjoy by itself.
Until next time, let your food be your medicine.
Leave a Reply