It is the season for viruses, and the cold has been attaching my entire household. Luckily its effects are not that severe as everyone has been fighting back using natural remedies. However, recently my sister developed a sore throat, and I thought it might be helpful to share ways you can treat this if you should get one.
Simply put, sore throat occurs when our throat becomes scratchy, and if you have ever gotten one, then you know how incredibly uncomfortable this can be. A sore throat can also signify a pending infection, flu, or cold.
Whenever you feel this happening, it is best to deal with it as soon as possible.
There are many ways to treat ourselves naturally. I will, however, focus on the methods I have used and found to be effective.
- Get some rest – Many of us underestimates the power of a good night’s rest and how beneficial this can be for the body and health. But a body deprived of proper rest opens the door to sickness, and so this is why when we are sick, our doctor advises us to rest so that our bodies can repair and heal.
- Salt Water – Gargle with saltwater. Add about 1/2 of sea salt to a cup and gargle every few hours.
- Vitamin C – Sip on liquid vitamin C. Drink slowly to coat the throat and provide some relief.
- Raw honey with lemon Juice – This is a household favorite and is excellent when fighting a cold or suffering from a sore throat.
- Drink plenty of fluids – It is essential to drink plenty of fluids when suffering from a cold throat as it helps to keep the affected area moist and, by extension, hydrate the body. You can drink water, vegetable and fruit juices.
- Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus can be used to treat sore throat because it has a cooling effect on inflamed tissues. Add a few eucalyptus leaves per cup of boiling water and drink.
- Garlic– Since garlic is anti-viral for colds and anti-inflammatory for strep, it is a very effective natural remedy for sore throat. You can make garlic tea and drink it as needed. You can gargle with it as well.
- Ginger, lemon juice, honey– you can make tea or gargle with it.
- Cayenne Pepper – Gargle the throat with cayenne tea (1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper to a cup of water).
- Vicks Vapour Rub – Applying warm Vicks around the throat and wrapping it snugly with a scarf will help to relieve sore throat.
- Trust in God – While these natural remedies are available to treat and heal our bodies without side effects, we must trust in God, our Creator and healer.
Please share other natural remedies you have used to treat sore throat in the comment section.
Leave a Reply